Low GraphicsWed., Apr 23, 2014Contact UsSiteMapSearch Tips
City of Mountain View Home
Homepage | Departments | Public Works | Public Services
Bike Share Program
Capital Projects and Bids
Climate Change
Engineering Division
Environmental Sustainability Program
Green Building
High Speed Rail
Sustainability Meetings
Pedestrian Master Plan
Public Services
Recycled Water
Recycling and Zero Waste
Shoreline Regional Park Community Transportation Study
Standard Provisions
Stevens Creek Trail Extension
Street Sweeping Schedule
Transportation and Business Services Division
Urban Water Management Plan
Utility Billing & Rates
Walking and Bicycling in Mountain View
Water Conservation

E-mail story
Print friendly format

231 N Whisman Road
Mountain View, CA 94043
Phone: 650-903-6329Hours:
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Submit your questions, suggestions, compliments,concerns, or track your existing request online.

Public Services Division

The Public Services Division is responsible for a broad range activities that provide essential functions like street maintenance and water and sewer service.

The Water Section operates and maintains the City's water distribution system, including the meters, pipelines and pump stations required to deliver 10 million gallons of water per day to over 17,000 City customers. The Section also manages water quality, ensuring compliance with State and Federal water quality standards. Learn more about Mountain View's water:
Water Rates      Mountain View's Water Sources
Water Quality       Urban Water Management Plan
Water Conservation      Water FAQ
Recycled Water
The City of Mountain View provides recycled water for landscape irrigation to customers in the North Bayshore area east of Highway 101. Learn more here.
The Wastewater Section operates and maintains the sanitary and stormwater collection systems. If you have a sewer backup or overflow, call (650) 903-6329. Learn more about sanitary sewer systems:
Sewer Rates     Sewer Service Laterals Information
Sewer Backup Prevention    Sewer Service Lateral Illustration
Sanitary Sewer Overflows Sewer Line Infiltration and Inflow
Plumber Outreach Program    Sewer System Management Plan 
Wastewater Treatment Wastewater FAQ
  Streets & Landfill
The Streets and Landfill Section maintains and repairs the City's streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, public parking lots, street signs and streetlights. This section also works with Engineering and Environmental Compliance to maintain the closed landfill at Shoreline Park, maintaining the landfill's soil cap to manage the gas generated by decomposing refuse, and capturing, cleaning, and using the gas to generate power.
Street-Sweeping Schedule
Streets FAQ
  Engineering & Environmental Compliance
The Engineering and Environmental Compliance Section manages the design and permitting of City landfill postclosure systems, operates and maintains landfill gas energy generation systems, and ensures that landfill maintenance and other Public Services Division programs meet regulatory requirements.
Find common questions and answers about Public Services below. If you cannot find answers to your questions here, visit Ask Mountain View to submit an inquiry or request.

Water  Wastewater Streets
Utility Billing Miscellaneous

Water FAQ

Is my water safe to drink?
Yes. Water provided by the City of Mountain View to its residents meets all U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) and California Department of Public Health (CDPH) standards.

Why does my water look cloudy?
Tiny air bubbles can cause cloudy water. The City often pumps water and this can introduce air into the system and create bubbles. The cloudy appearance will settle out if allowed to stand for a few minutes.

Why is my water yellow or brown?
The most common reason for discolored water is household plumbing.  When water is not circulated regularly (such as in a guest bathroom), it can pick up color from galvanized or copper pipes. A rusting water heater can also discolor water. 

Water pipes can also accumulate small amounts of sediment over time.  When the sediment is stirred up by water flowing through the pipe, you may experience cloudiness or discoloration of your water.  The City routinely flushes its water system to remove sediment and this maintenance work can cause temporary discoloration of the water. In most cases, letting the water run five to ten minutes should clear the discoloration.  If the water does not clear, call Public Services at (650) 903-6329.

What do I do if I have no water?
To open an account and have your water turned on, call the City's Finance and Administrative Services Department at (650) 903-6317.

If you already have an active account in good financial standing and you have no water, call Public Services at (650) 903-6329.

What are Mountain View's sources of water?
The City of Mountain View distributes over 4.2 billion gallons of fluoridated water annually to its customers from three separate sources. More than 90 percent of the City's water is treated surface water imported from the Sierra Nevada mountains and purchased from the San Francisco Utilities Commission's Hetch Hetchy system. The remaining water is purchased from the Santa Clara Valley Water District and a small amount of the City's water is pumped from a deep aquifer thorugh the City's water wells. 

Does my water contain fluoride?
Yes. Water delivered to Mountain View from the SFPUC is fluoridated and Mountain View fluoridates the water which is delivered from SCVWD and pumped from local groundwater wells. The concentration of fluoride in Mountain View's water is within the range prescribed by the California Department of Public Health for preventing tooth decay.

What is my water pressure?
The City of Mountain View's water system delivers water at an average minimum pressure of 45 pounds per square inch. This exceeds the California Department of Health Services requirement that a public water system provide more than 25 pounds of pressure.

How much water should I store for emergencies?
The State's Office of Emergency Services recommends a minimum of one gallon per person per day for at least three days be stored for emergency purposes.

How long can I store drinking water?
You may store Mountain View tap water in clean containers for up to 6 months. The following website from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) contains more information on how to safely store water in advance of an emergency.
FEMA - Water Storage for Emergencies

What do I do if I think I have a water leak?
First, turn off all the water on the property. Check your water meter (usually located near the street) and see if the small triangle or asterisk on the face of the dial is moving. If it is, you have a leak. You may be able to isolate the leak by turning off the house valve and checking to see if the meter dial has stopped moving. Leaks should be fixed as soon as possible to avoid excessive water charges.

For further assistance Monday-Friday between 8am-4pm call Public Services at (650) 903-6329. For assistance on weekends and after-hours, call (650) 903-6395.

Wastewater FAQ

What do I do if my sewer line backs up?

If any overflows are observed running into the street or drainage facilities, call Public Services immediately at (650) 903-6329. 
A backflow is much less common and occurs when water or materials come up through a drain, toilet, or other fixture when a home's plumbing system is not being used. If this occurs, call Public Services at (650) 903-6329 immediately. If you call the City for assistance with a sewer problem, try to have all vehicles moved from in front of your home to ensure the crew has access to the sewer line.

Where is the City's wastewater treated?
The City of Mountain View's wastewater is treated at the Palo Alto Regional Water Quality Control Plant.

Streets FAQ

Are streets swept when it rains?
The City's street sweeper cannot sweep the street while it rains. The City will sweep your street again on your next scheduled day.

Why didn't the street sweeper pick up my leaves?
The City collects leaves that have fallen onto City streets. For the City's street sweeper to be able to pick up leaves, the leaves must be in piles no more than 2 feet wide and 6 inches deep; the street sweeper cannot pick up sticks, branches, or palm leaves. Leaves that have fallen onto private property must be collected by the property owner and disposed of in a yard trimmings (green waste) cart. Carts are available in 64- and 96-gallon sizes from Foothill Disposal. To arrange for a special collection or to order a cart, call Foothill Disposal at (650) 967-3034.

Who do I call to report a traffic signal outage?
Traffic signal outages should be reported to Public Services at (650) 903-6329. Signals along Central Expressway are the responsibility of Santa Clara County and signals along El Camino Real and freeway off-ramps are the responsibility of CalTrans, who may take longer to respond.

Who do I call to report a street light outage?
Report street light outages to Public Services at (650) 903-6329.

Utility Billing FAQ

How do I open an account for water, sewer or garbage?
To open a utility account with the City of Mountain View, contact the City's Finance and Administrative Services Department at (650) 903-6317.

Miscellaneous FAQ

Where can I learn about storm safety and flood prevention?
Find information on storm safety and flood prevention here.

Where are sandbags located and when are they available?

Sandbags are located at the City's Municipal Operations Center at 231 N. Whisman Road. For additional sandbag locations, visit the Santa Clara Valley Water District's website. Sandbags are generally available after November 1.  For more information, call Public Services at (650) 903-6329.

Who do I call to report graffiti?
Graffiti should be reported to the City's Graffiti Abatement Hotline at (650) 903-6767. For graffiti on freeway on/off ramps, call CalTrans at (408) 436-0930.

Who do I call to report an abandoned shopping cart?

Abandoned shopping carts located on public property should be reported to the City's Shopping Cart Abatement Hotline at (650) 903-6767.  Please include location of cart and nearest cross street in your message.

Who do I call to report power outages?
Power outages should be reported directly to PG & E at (800) 743-5000.